Tuesday, March 27, 2012

More Steps...

Last night we had our last official meeting/interview to become licensed for Foster Care.  Now she just needs to put all her notes together and submit them for approval and then we will officially be licensed.  Craziness!  I have mixed emotions, but overall...I feel relief.  It's something I've desired to do and felt called to do for years and for a variety of reasons it didn't happen.  I'm not sure what it will look like and I'm sure at times it will stretch me farther than I've ever stretched before, but we have to at least try.

I'm currently helping a friend and watching her adorable baby girl during the day until the end of May when her daycare will be available.  Even once we are licensed we will be put 'on hold' until I fulfill my commitment.  We may have an extra child for a weekend as 'respite care' for other foster parents that are unable to watch their foster child for a weekend, but overall nothing will happen until June.  I'm kind of bummed about that, but at the same time it might be good to hold off until the end of the school year anyway (that's what I keep telling myself anyway).

Some things I've learned from doing daycare that may (or may not) apply when we do Foster Care:
- my love isn't limited to my own children
- my children are willing to accept another child into their life
- it creates challenges and changes our 'normal' routine
- my freedom with a 4 year old during the day is TOTALLY different from my freedom with an infant and a 4 year old...I joke that it's like riding a bike though, I've done it before and it comes back to you pretty quickly


OK, there are a ton of other things that I've thought of recently but because I didn't write them down at the time I can't remember them now!

No comments: