Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Attitude...you'll never look at it the same way again

Tuesday is MOPS day at our house. We all enjoy Tuesdays! Today we had a Christmas celebration. We had a wonderful breakfast as usual, announcements...then I led an ice breaker that was a lot of fun and made for some great laughs. It was called the "Christmas Cat-walk". Each group was given wrapping paper, ribbon, bows, etc. and they decorated the DGL (discussion group leader), then the leaders had to 'model' their beautiful gowns to the group. It was a good time and made for some good laughs! The next part however is what I really want to share....

J (a man who passionately loves Jesus) was our speaker today.
He spoke on "A Healthy Christmas Attitude".

Here are some of the main points:
  • Your attitude toward Christmas is a reflection of your values, beliefs and expectations
  • Christmas is about the manger AND the cross
  • Some of the scripture he referenced included; Isa. 9:6-7, Isa. 53, and later Phil. 2:5-8
  • The part that REALLY got me was his visual on the word attitude. When you look at the word you probably don't think much of it, but after reading this, you will never look at the word the same again....
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” Charles R. Swindoll quote

attitude -- look at the word...imagine the "t's" as crosses....there are 3 of them. The first cross is what I deserve, the second cross is what you deserve. Do you see the third cross? Without the third cross we would have to claim our crosses...however, the third cross belongs to Christ. Because there is a cross that stands between you (u) and I (i) we are saved from the punishment we de[serve]. I (and you) have a choice each day, what will my (your) attitude be? Will it be to focus on myself (i) or will I look at the cross and choose to have a Christ-like attitude?

Ok -- well, I'm not a preacher and I KNOW he shared it better than I typed it, but I hope you got something out of it. I thought it was great! Dan and I tell our kids ALL THE TIME, you 'choose' your attitude. I will never look at the word "attitude" the same again.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great post - and I love Swindoll's stuff! I may have to use that quote sometime here in the near future. You're SO right about choosing attitudes, too.....and that's a HARD one to teach (esp to a three year old!)

Thanks for last night - we had a great time!

Kelly said...

Great post, Michelle! I've never thought of that when I looked at the word "attitude." Thanks for sharing.